The first Weaver family member to live in Bembridge was Thomas. Born 1792 in Coventry, he took the King’s shilling in 1806 and enlisted in the 30th Foot Cambridge regiment. A soldier with Wellington in the Peninsular Wars and in the central front line at the battle of Waterloo. He first moved to Bembridge in 1823 and took up residence in a property in the High Street opposite Woodford’s butchers shop, which he named ‘Waterloo Cottage’ and it still stands today in fine order. He lived there with Jane, whom he married in 1815 and together they had their son Henry. He was posted to Secundrabad, India in 1822 where he remained until was discharged and pensioned in 1829, finally settling in Bembridge. He quickly immersed himself into the small community and was Sexton at Holy Trinity for 28 years. In 1867 Jane died and Thomas went to live with an estranged daughter in Lymington. He died the following year in 1868, but his body was returned to Bembridge and he is buried at Holy Trinity Church with Jane.
Thomas Weaver was the first to settle in Bembridge
Thomas Weaver Grave
Henry Weaver outside of the Marine Hotel (latterly
the Row Barge) of which he was publican.
His son Henry was a keen businessman and became a Building Contractor and Undertaker. He also ran the Marine Hotel, Station Road at the harbour for many years. This was the family home and he fathered nine children in total. seven with his first wife Ellen and two with his second wife Clara.
Three of Henry’s sons, Harry, Alf and Percy, formed Weaver Brothers, taking forward the business he had created. The roles were largely shared with Harry a skilled carpenter and leading with clerical work and general management. He also ran the funerals as undertaker.
An early business card
Arthur ‘Perce’ Weaver
Weaver Bros outing in the early 1900’s – Left to Right – Harry
Weaver, Harry Laughrin, Fred Jeans, Henry Jacobs, Tommy
Staples, Percy Weaver, Tom Gouge, ??, Tim Holbrook, Fred
Weaver, Langford Butler, Geoff Bunce, Newton Newman,
Alfred Weaver, Frank Chappell, Neddy Gouge.
Arthur, Percy’s son, carried on the firm and during the Second World War diversified for the war effort and became an agricultural contractor. After the end of the war he took up the building business again and forged ahead with the help of his son Terry. He was also Hon. Sec of the local RNLI branch at Bembridge and ran the local fire station which was, and still is, manned by retained staff.
Terry continued to run the building business and took the firm into new areas with the development of the firm’s premises in Lane End Road. Firstly by building the Lane End Court shops and flats which were completed in 1967 and then by continuing to develop these and the rest of the site with the addition of a number of commercial units and flats in what has become Weaver’s Yard.
Terry and son Richard
Richard joined the business in 2002 after his graduation and has since taken a key role in each aspect of the business. This includes arranging and conducting funerals and for the property side has overseen and project managed the building of the newest six flats at Lane End Court which were completed in 2010.
Caroline joined Weaver Brothers in 2005 after a career in London in Public Relations. As well as assisting Richard in the arrangement of funerals she oversees and manages the property side of the business.
Thus for the past 180+ years the Weaver family have conducted their business in the village of Bembridge and other parts of the Island and are continuing to offer personal, independent service with the intention of passing it on to future generations.